Monday, July 10, 2006

Computer Installed - It Works!!

Well, I don't have any new pictures because I can't find the camera (again) but I managed to install the computer inside of the cabinet this weekend. I haven't mounted the monitor yet - that will probably be the last thing I do but I have connected a computer monitor so I can tinker/tweak the software and front end.

Holy crap what a mess - I even used ties to bunch wires together but somehow it still looks messy. I haven't even really started wiring the controls yet but I think I can keep that pretty organized since I am the one determining wire length (I can run wires along the sides of the cab instead of stretching across the middle to power a fan or connect the HDD to the motherboard, etc.). Damn, pics would really help...

It's my first computer build and I'm pretty proud that I got it to work (with help, of course). Tomorrow I am going to drill the final holes in the cab (after painfully taking everything out):

1. 4.5" hole in the bottom for third fan
2. 1/8" hole for power switch
3. 1/4" hole for volume control (I have to cut and then splice the controls after threading the wire through the hole)

Once I get this done and everything back in there I can wire the controls. I imagine the trackball and spinner will give me the most problems...

No comments: